Friday 11 February 2011

Nice weather for the time of year...

Well there goes another week in the blink of an eye and it’s Friday again. Friday is my treat day, a day when I can please myself – during school hours at least. Today I’ve had a, frankly, HUGE danish pastry (which won’t do a thing to help with the post –Christmas weight-loss intentions) with some good coffee, and a peruse of the new issue of one of my favourite housey-gardeny magazines, all in peace and quiet. It’s the March copy (already!) with some beautiful spring flowers and sunshine on the cover. Optimistic and hopeful.

One of the things I’ve noticed about my noticings over the last few weeks since I’ve been writing small stones is how much I’m influenced by the weather and the surrounding landscape. I’m lucky enough to live in the lee of the Malvern Hills and I sometimes think we have our own little micro-climate here – slightly warmer, wetter, colder, frostier than even a mere 10 miles away.

The hills are a constant presence, mostly benevolent, and take on different guises depending on the time of year and the prevailing weather. They are a constant source of inspiration whether I’m looking up at them from my garden or looking down from them.

The sun was shining this morning as I walked my son to school and it makes such a difference to the mood of the day doesn’t it? Puts a spring in your step, especially at this time of year which can be so dreary. That said, I know I would get bored very quickly if it was guaranteed sunshine every day of the year. I love the way our seasons change and how the landscape changes with them. Our island nation is so diverse – I don’t think I could ever live anywhere else. It’s not hard to understand why us Brits nearly always begin a conversation with a comment about the weather!

Here’s to more Spring-like sunshine, even if it is glinting off frost, or struggling to banish early morning fog.

Until next time, have a lovely week… x

1 comment:

  1. I suppose it shouldn't be surprising, but I also noticed my noticing revolving around nature as well. I've recently moved back into the city and away from the beloved coast which was so inspiring to me in its striking beauty and changable nature. small stones has made me notice things about my new life that are worth noticing...birdsong, sunrises, citylights on the hill...

    Really glad you're still writing here.

    Happy Friday :)

    ReplyDelete